Remember the other sidekick salad I wrote about? That was more cabbage based. Here’s another one with tomato base.
It’s sooo easy to make and you can probably make it in 15 minutes to add a kick to your meal with the citrus flavors from the lime and the tomatoes. And of course the crunchiness from the onions. Here’s how you make it.
You’ll need: (and there’s no right or wrong way to slice them and the portions are up to you!)
- Thinly sliced onions. (1/2 small onion)
- Diced tomatoes (Several cherry tomatoes)
- Diced cilantro (a few strands)
- Diced fresh garlic (optional)
- Diced chili peppers (optional for you, but not for us!)
- Fresh lime juice (up to your taste)
- Dash of salt
I had more tomatoes in proportion because I was making a tomato salad. Mix them all together in the lime juice and salt.
Hint: When using fresh sliced onions in your salad or to add to a dish, be sure to let the onions soak in water for a few minutes. Remove them when you’re ready to use. Rise out the water as much as possible.