Hippy Freaks Unite!
March 12, 2010 6 Comments
Amazing isn’t it? Read a few books, watch a few documentaries, become inspired to live with conscious thought, and what kind of reaction do you get from your family, friends, and colleagues?
Well, let me list a few examples:
- I mentioned something about factory farms v. free range farms, and I got the “Look.” – Like you are a HIPPY FREAK from Mars…
- Comments like, “Ah, you are so extreme…”
- “I know you’re so strict with food… can you eat this?..”
- Suggested a more “service oriented” holiday tradition, and we get the “What, you don’t celebrate Christmas?”
- Suggested more eco-friendly practices, like not buying bottled water or not using disposable flatware at get-togethers, and I hear crickets in the background…
- It took decades before my employer decided that recycling bins were a good idea…
Well, I could go on and on about this. It’s interesting that the more one learns about these local and global issues, one becomes more and more a minority in your own culture.
All I can say is, we were able to get support from those who’ve also decided that living consciously is a good idea, and have put them into practice. In this sense, Twitter has been a blessing, in that we’ve been able to connect with those with similar worldviews, who believe in the value of travel, service, living green, and eating food that is ecologically responsible (wow, I do sound like an extremist!).
So, a shout out to our fellow HIPPY FREAKS, and live long and prosper!!
Here’s our expanding library of books that have had a direct (positive) impact on how we live. Please offer your suggestions, and how you cope being the hippy freak in your family!
We Say NO to Status Quo.
Live Small. Live Green. Give Large. Take Little.